To create a global community of ethical shoppers who make a conscious choice to impact the women who create these products.
What we do:
Dai Khmer is a social business founded by Khmer young leader Vichka Vantha in collaboration with Sonas that supports women to reach financial independence for themselves and their families by providing vocational training, employment opportunities, education programs and leadership development. We are more than just another e-commerce platform as we connect you directly to the origin of where your product was made and the story behind each piece.
How we do it:
- The Dai Khmer team who work on the ground, find the women living in poverty who want to become financially independent.
- We train and equip the women with the skills they need. They become artisans!
- We connect them to the resources.
- We connect them to the market (you)!
- The women begin to generate income to support their everyday living.
- They inspire others in their community, causing a multiplier effect.
- Remaining profits are reinvested back into the business to scale the impact.
Cambodia, also known as the ‘Kingdom of Wonder’ borders Thailand, Laos and Vietnam in South East Asia. In the 1970s, during the infamous and brutal Khmer Rouge regime, one quarter of the country’s population were murdered. The aftermaths of this event have caused many social issues from unemployment to child and adult trafficking.
Dai Khmer objectives
The key objectives of the project are:
- Income generation enabling the artisans to become financially independent
- To preserve traditional skills
- To promote cultural heritage
- To marry traditional skills with health and wellbeing.
- To create a viable model that can be internationally competitive
- Personal achievement and empowerment of artisans
- To encourage and maintain the 10 principles of Fair trade.
Who inspires us
We are inspired every day by the women we meet in Cambodia who create the beautiful products made for you.